Monday, April 16, 2012

The little things count

Do the little things count in the handmade industry?  I think they do.  Personally I think it's one of the attractions of buying from a small handmade business. I think it is what sets our industry apart from the impersonal nature of large corporations.

Living in regional NSW I tend purchase my items locally or online from small businesses and handmade businesses.  I know my parcel post delivery guy quite well and its always fun to open packages because there is usually something little that makes this purchase stand out.

For example:
  • I received some hand spun wool the other week from a new supplier.  The product is excellent (yeah!) and I loved the fact that the supplier had sprayed the wrapping paper in with lavender oil which meant the wool smelt nice with the added bonus of keeping the bugs away.
  • I always look forward to getting parcels from Crochet Australia.  The owner Vicki offers great customer service and I must admit I do look forward to the Freddo Frog that always comes with the order.  I also enjoy receiving Vickie's latest printed newsletter which is devoted to yarn crafts especially crochet. I've found it to be very informative and I've even kept some of them so I can refer back to them at a later date.
  • In February I won some fabric covered cards made by Here we go loopy lou.  I was very excited about winning these cards but to be honest my win was oh so much better when I open the envelope to see the gorgeous packaging - I even took a photo of it!

When I package up my craftumi orders  I usually add a little something. When I send my handmade beanies I take time to to professionally package them and I include some extra details about how to wash and care for the beanie.

None of these are extravagant or costly but they do add to the pleasure of buying over the internet and one of the Pros for buying handmade because you get that personal touch.

What extra little thing do you do for your buyers?  Tell us below.

Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on the {CHA}